Monday, May 31, 2010

Thing 15 Online Games and Libraries

I approach gaming with a fairly sizable sense of apprehension so it was with interest that I read the online article "8 Games About Video Games Debunked". As I read the article, authored by Henry Jenkins, the director of comparative studies at MIT, I found myself agreeing with some points and disagreeing with others. As a teacher of elementary students, I have seen first hand what happens when some kids are let loose on this level. The author points out that family involvement is imperative to balancing virtual life with real life and I agree with this. I would however ague, that without proper family balancing, the video games take on a higher level of influence for at-risk students. He also points out that while younger students may use these, most of the games are targeted for adults and again, a family's job is to monitor what kids are playing online.

I also took a look at Ohio University's short video about its presence in Second Life. Interesting! Colleges are continually changing to reflect the needs of their learners and it just amazes me how some universities are reaching out in this new form of delivery. I also read the article about its inception/creation and how people all over the world have contributed. Interesting!

No comments: