Thursday, January 1, 2009

#7 Web 2.0 Communication Tools

January 1, 2009
I'm still hard at work on this 23 Things on a Stick. So far, the communication tools are review. I've used email quite a lot at school and we have another account at home. It's great professionally when I want to communicate the same thing to many people and it leaves a trail so that I can trace who I've told. I've also used IM through our school communication software. Easy and quick. With teenagers in the family (three boys), text messaging is sometimes the favored tool to let the parents know information without it really seen that a teen is talking to the parent. Very unobtrusive as long as they're not in class! As far as the examples go, they mostly seem geared for secondary or higher education. I have used email with my 4th and 5th graders on a limited basis so I can't say that texting and IM will never have a place in an elementary media center but at this point in time, I'm having a hard time seeing the relevance for students - parents and colleagues - yes! The one thing I learned was that text messaging could be linked to a computer so that staff could communicate a text with a keyboard. I didn't know that could be done and it sounded very slick for someone like me who has the typing thing pretty well down pat.

Web Conference: I went online to OPAL and registered and then I was able to listen to an archived webinar through MINITEX about Library 2.0 by Carla Steinberg Pfahl. I think there are lots of possibilities for staff development personally for me.

I've heard a lot about Twitter so it was great to read about it and watch the introductory video that 23 things directed me to. 140 words is the max so no great literary events happen here! I watched both David Free's and David Lee King's intro videos. Twitter (and all the cool "fluff" that I just witnessed) is a world that is evolving and eye-opening for me!

No comments: